“We're focused on our environmental impact, helping each other, and our community.”
- NICK STUART, STAFF ACCOUNTANT
We're proud to be a Certified B Corp™
BS&L is only the 9th bank in the nation to do so. To earn this certification required a rigorous, yearlong evaluation to ensure that we meet the highest standards of ethical practices in four primary areas:
- Community Benefit: We’ve been committed to this community for over a century through sponsorships, volunteerism, and leadership.
- Environmental Impact: We are a solar-powered bank that actively works to be a good steward of Vermont’s environment.
- Employee Engagement: We go above and beyond to take care of our team members in a way that is empowering, connective, and open.
- Corporate Responsibility: As a mutual savings bank, we exist to benefit our depositors rather than distant shareholders or investors.
B Corp Certification is awarded only to those businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability in a way that balances profit and purpose. We believe you can tell a lot about a company by the company they keep, so we proudly join Chroma Technologies and Scott Farm locally, as well as other Vermont favorites like Ben & Jerry’s, Cabot Creamery, and King Arthur Flour. Looking globally, we join B Corp Certified brands like Patagonia, Dr. Bronner’s, and Eileen Fisher.
Being a B Corp is more than a measure, it’s a commitment to being the kind of bank, the kind of organization, and the kind of stewards that we want to be in the world. This is also exactly what BS&L has been doing all along, since 1912.